Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Hump


We live in a society of "closed hearts" is all I could think about on my Saturday morning Yoga class at the Iyengar Yoga center, when we were all struggling to open up our chest by pinching the shoulder blades together as close as possible. As I looked across the room I saw multiple stubborn "humps" on people's back.
Thankfully for all of us this ancient practice is widely available and after trying different styles I finally settled for the Iyengar style, which helps the students better understand their bodies and the habits it has been forced into for years. It is somewhat liberating and "enlightening" to see how far our broken bodies will go if we only dedicate a couple of hours a week to nourishing and strengthening them. Obviously, you can do more than that, but I am just trying to ease you into it.
The Iyengar style is therapeutic yoga, where each movement has a purpose and it is well explained and demonstrated. The use of props, such as blankets, blocks, ropes, belts, chairs, etc, allows each and everyone to achieve the best variation of each pose to fit his/her needs and capabilities. I admire the power of perseverance shown on some of the regular students, who regardless of their physical obstacles, allow themselves to enjoy the practice.
I love the "easy" atmosphere, the welcoming teachers with years of education and experience in this practice and the feeling of peace after each class.

I highly recommend it, whether you live in the city or are just visiting, as it is centrally located on the I-25 and Broadway intersection.
Easy access from the Light Rail Broadway station, lines E, F, H, C, D


By Paula Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment